Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

What's your "best kept secret" to saving money?

xx488165

Legacy Member
Mine is learning to cook everything from scratch as this goes a long way towards saving some serious cash.
Keeping at lot of dry ingredients is a good place to start like your pastas, flour, sugar,and spices. Try different kinds of rice and learn to appreciate the flavor and texture differences. Buy dry beans, soak to re-hydrate , and freeze the beans in batches using quart bags. I have found that you can feed your family for weeks on what it would cost for a couple trips to any fast food joint.
Also, learn to make your own sauces and marinades - most of them contain the same basic ingredients, and cost very little to throw together yourself.

I am a big spender. If you give me 10$, it will be gone in about two minutes. For me, the best way of saving money is putting it in a place even I can not access. Something like a piggy bank with a safe door that only the person I trust has the combination to. This method has been successful for me most of the time. Other fast spenders should try it, it really works

Mine is learning to cook everything from scratch as this goes a long way towards saving some serious cash.
Keeping at lot of dry ingredients is a good place to start like your pastas, flour, sugar,and spices. Try different kinds of rice and learn to appreciate the flavor and texture differences. Buy dry beans, soak to re-hydrate , and freeze the beans in batches using quart bags. I have found that you can feed your family for weeks on what it would cost for a couple trips to any fast food joint.
Also, learn to make your own sauces and marinades - most of them contain the same basic ingredients, and cost very little to throw together yourself.

I think mine would be not ordering sodas or drinks when I'm outside eating at restaurants. I bring my own drink! Most of the time, the drinks are really the ones that are pricey!

I'm with diprod on this one. Living in New Orleans, we especially enjoy our drinks around here...drinks of the "fiery kind." When I'm going for a night out on the town, I try to be as frugal as possible. A typically night of just my drinking can be close to $100. First, I try to pregame as much as possible at home before taking a cab out. I always try to pack a flask of my favorite alcohol with me. This allows me to simply order mixers, such as a coke or juice, at the place that I'm going with friends. I simply sneak my liquor into the glass underneath the bar and VOILA! Instant fun! An entire night of a couple beers and mixers will cost me around $30.

I'm with diprod on this one. Living in New Orleans, we especially enjoy our drinks around here...drinks of the "fiery kind." When I'm going for a night out on the town, I try to be as frugal as possible. A typically night of just my drinking can be close to $100. First, I try to pregame as much as possible at home before taking a cab out. I always try to pack a flask of my favorite alcohol with me. This allows me to simply order mixers, such as a coke or juice, at the place that I'm going with friends. I simply sneak my liquor into the glass underneath the bar and VOILA! Instant fun! An entire night of a couple beers and mixers will cost me around $30.

I'm with you! I "pre-fuel" before going out so that all I need is a top off at the club. Good thing I don't go out too often.

saving money isn't as difficult as most guys would want to believe, all you have to do is know your weaknesses and strengths, plan ahead, window shop a lot to compare prices, and never buy what you don't need or never planned for, no matter how appealing it looks.

Keep your money in something that isn't cash... this works for me anyway. Whether it be gold, silver, guns, bitcoins, stocks, bonds, etc. When it's not as easy to spend, you'll "forget" about it and it will be much easier to save.

I would have to be completely honest. I usually always make my own lunches/dinners which allow for me to save LOTS on food. Lunches usually cost me about $10, roughly saving me $50 a week... Which is quite a bit in my opinion. I can also say that my other way of saving money would be to split my available money into seperate places around my house, stopping me from spending it!

-Paul

Frugal yankee, here. Gardening and canning are typical of longstanding families in this area. I've also learned to make for myself, a lot of what I'd spend money on otherwise. I also check out the thrift stores in my area for parts that I can salvage to build things or an occasional appliance that is simply a "want" and not a "need." In other words, I WANT an ice cream maker, but I don't NEED it: "Oh, look! It's 5 dollars..." (keeps me from spending $40 at ChinaMart. :) )

I try to use cash instead of plastic because it is easier to keep track of what I am spending. Each week I take out my budgeted amount and try to only use cash. I tend to spend less this way :)

I just don't really spend money. You'd be amazed how long I can stand in a store and talk myself out of buying something I want. I'm also renowned for keeping things until I literally cannot repair them myself before going out to buy something brand new. I've thought about joining an urban farming group in order to reap even more savings by getting some of the harvest so I don't have to buy fruits and veggies.

This may be known and done by a lot of people. By unplugging your small appliances that are not used during the day, you are able to save electric expense expended for phantom use of electricity. Unplug the toaster, blender, coffee maker, electric toothbrush, razor and any other small appliance not in use and save yourself some money. Cheers.

Back