Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

K.Hardwicke

Legacy Member
Overview
like.jpgThis is an introductory lesson. Students get to know each other and start to experience the dynamics of the class by talking about their likes and dislikes. For the vocabulary, the teacher can select suitable words as they come up in the Noun Tennis activity, although some of the more difficult ones are in the key vocabulary. The assumption is that students can form the present simple- positives, negatives and questions, although the lesson revises these forms. The new language presented is: like + noun/gerund. The grammar is relatively easy, and the focus of the class is on communication and developing fluency.

Learning ObjectivesDevelop fluency. Improve fluency in the use of the Present Simple using verbs that express like/dislike.

By the end of the class, students should be able to express their likes and dislikes using nouns and gerunds with the appropriate verbs.

Students should increase vocabulary related to sport, pastimes and day-to-day activities.

Build general fluency and confidence in spoken English
Success CriteriaStudents will have achieved the above and will only be making a small number of functional errors.
CEFR Links
  • Can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has likes and dislikes.
  • Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
  • Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of need.

Resources and materials
Activity cards, whiteboard, whiteboard pen.

Key Vocabulary
Vocabulary can be taken from the warm-up game of noun tennis and written on the board as words come up. Also, from the activity cards.
ℹ With a low-level class, the most effective way of presenting meaning is through mime and drawing.
Possible problem words could be:

[TD valign="top"]WORD[/TD][TD valign="top"]CONCEPT CHECK QUESTIONS[/TD][TD valign="top"]_PHONOLOGY_[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Gardening (gerund)[/TD][TD valign="top"] What is it called when someone makes a garden?
(
a. When you like planting flowers in your garden.)[/TD][TD valign="top"]?? /ˈɡɑː.dən.ɪŋ/
?? /ˈɡɑːr.dən.ɪŋ/[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Board games (noun)[/TD][TD valign="top"]Draw a chess/checkers board on the board and mime the activity.
Ask: D o you play board games with a ball? (a. No, not usually)
Do you play them inside or outside? (a. Usually inside)[/TD][TD valign="top"]?? /bɔːd/
?? /bɔːrd/[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Sewing (gerund)[/TD][TD valign="top"]Mime a sewing action. Draw a needle and thread
Ask: What is it called when you make clothes? [/TD][TD valign="top"]?? /ˈsəʊ.ɪŋ/
?? /ˈsoʊ.ɪŋ/[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Snakes (noun)[/TD][TD valign="top"]Draw a snake. Wriggle your arm and make a hissing sound.
Ask: Are snakes long or short? (a. long) Is it good to pick snakes up? (a. No)[/TD][TD valign="top"]???? /sneɪk[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Skiing (gerund)[/TD][TD valign="top"]Mime skiing. Ask: W hat do you need for skiing? (a. Skis, snow, a mountain etc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]???? /ˈskiː.ɪŋ/[/TD]

Procedure
Lead in / Warm Up / Introduction ( 15-20 minutes )
Noun Tennis
  • Classes play this game in small groups.
  • The teacher can demonstrate with the whole class and then split then but will have to monitor the groups carefully.
  • Each group is given a topic about something they may like, for example, food/drink. Sport. Hobbies. Leisure activities etc.
  • The teams sit opposite each other. The teacher gives them a letter of the alphabet and the teams take it in turns to give nouns (or gerunds).
  • If a team does not respond immediately, gives an incorrect answer, or repeats a word, then the other team gets the point.
  • The scoring is similar to tennis with the first team getting four correct answers winning the 'set'.
  • After this, you can switch the letter or topic depending on the state of the game.
  • As the game progresses, it is a good idea to write some of the words you hear on the board.

Presentation / Teacher Model ( 15 minutes )
Presentation (15 mins)
  • Explain that students are going to talk about things they like and don't like.
Write a positive sentence on the board using some of the words you wrote earlier.
e.g:
I like swimming. Or I like chocolate cake.

• Explain that the word 'like' is followed by a noun or the gerund form of a verb (i.e. verb +…ing).
Elicit things that the learners like using the vocabulary you have written on the board.
e.g:
Who likes swimming?

You could also ask the questions:
  • What games do you know?
    (if students don't know the word in English they can explain using mime)

• What places do you like going to?

• What animals do you like?

• What do you do at the weekends?

• What food and drinks do you like?

• What makes you happy?

When they are producing correct sentences, show students the negative form.
e.g:
I don't like watching football. Or I don't like eggs.
n't is the contracted form of not*
*Elicit or tell your students

Elicit things that the learners don't like. You can also elicit things that the learners like using the vocabulary you have written on the board.
e.g:
Who doesn't like swimming?

You could also ask the questions:
  • What games don't you like?
    (if students don't know the word in English they can explain using mime)
  • What places don't you like going to?
  • What animals don't you like?
  • What don't you like doing on weekdays?
  • What food and drinks don't you like?
  • What makes you sad?

When they are producing correct sentences, show students the closed or 'yes/no' question form
e.g:
Do you like watching tennis? or Do you like coffee?

• In small groups get students to ask questions and for students to respond "yes, I do ?" or "no, I don't ?".
Controlled/Scaffolded Practice (30 mins)
  • Give each student a cue card. Tell the students that they have to find someone who likes the thing written on the card and to ask the question, i.e. 'cricket.' Elicit the correct question form
Do you like cricket?
  • Students ask people on their table, or better still, mingle in the class asking each of the other students one question.
  • They have to make a note of whether the answer was positive or negative.
  • Students then write three words on the blank part of the cue cards and repeat the process using their word in the question.

Extension Task (10)
Write the following words/phrases on the board randomly:
Love, really like, enjoy, like, quite like, dislike/don't like, can't stand, hate.

• Ask students to give them a number from 1-8 (8, for the best down to 1 for the worst).
  • Ask students to give an example of an activity they love, really like etc.

Plenary / Assessment ( 15 minutes )
? Memory Game

Go around the class eliciting things students love/enjoy/can't stand/hate etc.
You can also display emojis or images and let the students play in pairs or groups, saying what they like or don't like.
⚽??⚾?????????????⛳?????????⛸??⛷???️‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️⛹️‍♀️??‍♀️?️‍♀️??‍♀️?‍♂️??‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️???????♟️????✈?⛵???
Afterwards, see how many things students can remember and note down.

Problems that might occurWhat I will do
Students may not use the 3-person singular form.Ensure that this is error corrected even during the free practice activities.
Students may not remember vocabularyKeep the 'Activity list' on the board and refer students to that whenever they get stuck

Grammar structures
Context / target language (marker sentence) Expressing likes and dislikes.

[TD valign="top"] Grammar (Present Simple)

We use the present simple to talk about things which are generally true.
  • This could be a fact, e.g. Paris is the capital of France.
  • A routine or habit, e.g. I always catch the bus to work.
  • A permanent situation, e.g. I live in a flat on the third floor.
  • A future event, which we see as a fact, such as something on a timetable or schedule. Often there is a time word which indicates the future
    e.g. The next train leaves at eight o'clock tomorrow.
Base form
I/you/we/they + infinitive + subject
Example: I like pasta
Negative form
With negatives, we use the auxiliaries do and do not (don't). There is no change to the main verb.

I/you/we/they + don't + infinitive Example: I don't like pasta.
He/she/it + infinitive + s Example: She doesn't like pasta.
Question form
With questions we use the auxiliaries does and does not (doesn't).
We invert the auxiliary and the subject. There is no change to the main verb.

Do I/you/we/they + infinitive
Example: Do you like pasta?

Does he/she/it + infinitive
Example: Does she like pasta?

For open questions (those starting with 'wh…'), we use the same structure we just add the question word. Normally, there is no object.

What do I/you/we/they + infinitive
Example: What do you like?

What does he/she/it + infinitive
Example: What does she like?
[/TD]

What is important about the phonology of the language?
The weak form of 'Do you' / d͡ʒ u:/

The most important aspect are: Falling intonation at the end of Closed or 'Yes/No' questions. And rising intonation at the end of Open or'WH' questions.

Worksheet/Handout Previews
Activity Cards - print, copy, cut.​
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 4.37.21 pm.png

Whiteboard Preview
Do you like?

(end of lesson game)
⚽
Football/Soccer
?
Basketball
?
Video Games
⚾
Baseball
?
Tennis
?
Rugby
?
Frisbee
?
Pool
?
Table Tennis
?
Badminton
?
Fishing
?
Circus
?
Painting
?[
Music
?????⛳????????⛸??⛷???️‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️⛹️‍♀️??‍♀️?️‍♀️??‍♀️?‍♂️??‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️????♟️???✈?⛵???
There's lot's we could talk about

Attachments

• EdChat Lesson 1 Activity Cards.docx
    14.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 4.37.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 4.37.09 pm.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 4.37.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 4.37.21 pm.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Activity Cards - Getting to Know You (Likes).pdf
    130.5 KB · Views: 223