Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Does the universe have an end?

neovlad

Legacy Member
I am not saying like if the world will end but is there an edge to the universe or a wall or is the universe like an infinite loop that never ends? If any of you are astronomers I would really like to know what you think.

I'm really scared of it. :( Everytime I hear something about this it makes me feel scared. I think the earth has an end but everytime I think of it I just pray to God. :) Remember, God is our savior. :)

I don't think there will be end at all. The only end is the life of anything anyone. Gradually climate is changing and in about 500 millions years later, Antarctica might just be in the equator and there will be more life in the area. Archeologist by that time will discover New York about 100 million years later under a desert or so..

I don't think there is an end. My basic concept of the universe is that it is in a constant state of change. Things are growing and things are dying all the time. Some things end and some other things begin.

It is a rather complex question. If the universe has an end, we don't know. We can draw conclusions based on what we have shown astronomical sciences. The facts say that the universe has a purpose, although it isn't possible to determine when that time will come. Anyway, I think it is an eternal cycle in which the end is just an excuse for a new beginning. My theory may sound absurd, but I like to think that everything is in constant motion. :)

A few months ago, I remember reading a book about information theory and how it ties together with many other fields of science. I do not remember the title, but this question had an interesting part in the book. I'm not a real astronomer, but I hope what I think can help. The following is a bit that I remember from the book and a bit of my own thinking:

Let us say there are three levels of our whole "universe". There is the universe, the multi-verse, and the omni-verse. There is a progression involved here. We live in a universe that is constantly in superposition. It is first assumed that quantum physics is true and there is superposition. Each action taken can either be this or that until it is actually perceived. An example of superposition is Schrödinger's cat. Once the superposition is broken, we take either the A route or the B route. This makes our universe divide up into an A universe or a B universe in which we live in one of them. The collection of all these parallel universes is the multi-verse. Everything that exists would be the omni-verse, and it can be said that it is all of the multi-verses combined. I believe we are testing if there is an omni-verse or not because the end should be the edge of the omni-verse.

I forgot how the book proved that the universe was finite, but I would present my own ideas as there being the Laws of the Conservation of Matter and Energy. If we have the Conservation in place, there must be a finite amount of mass and energy in the universe. Thus, we have a finite universe. Otherwise, an infinite universe would mean these Laws of Conservation didn't matter. We solve the initial question by concluding that there is an end to the universe. There will be a point where we leave our known universe because there will be no more atoms from our universe there. I want to look further into the possibility of an omni-verse because we have the situation of other universes to settle.

The universe constantly divides because superposition is destroyed. That would mean the universes become separate. Since there is only a finite amount of matter, it is possible to find the edge of our universe. We then stumble upon another universe created from superposition. In this universe, though, you might see yourself, but it won't be the same person because the universe is not a sphere in this case. You can't go around the universe and arrive at your initial starting point.

To see if there is an edge to the omni-verse, we need to settle the question of the amount of universes there are. A universe has a finite amount of matter. Let us say that a universe has "x" atoms. All the parallel universes are caused by different combinations of these "x" atoms, yet the amount of atoms is constant. We can go through all the universes with these different combinations, but we will eventually find out that there are no more combinations if we go far enough. Where there are no more combinations of the atoms of a universe, there lies the edge of the omni-verse. That is the point where there is nothing left.

From this, we can see that there is an end to everything, including our universe. This really shouldn't matter because we will probably not reach that far away in our lifetime.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the question, thinking if there is an end to the universe time-wise. Please read the full original post before answering the question. Remember that the original author is asking if there is a PHYSICAL end to the universe, not a TIME that everything ends. Stay on topic, everybody.

I think in terms of the Earth there is an end however as for the universe I have no idea. The universe is so huge and massive I can't begin to fathom it's ending, but I'm no God or astronaut either.

But yes who knows. The idea of god taking all misbehaving people to hell might have been true and that this hell is somehow not part of the universe.

I'm really scared of it. :( Everytime I hear something about this it makes me feel scared. I think the earth has an end but everytime I think of it I just pray to God. :) Remember, God is our savior. :)

He was asking about the boundaries of the universe, not whether or not the world will end. Please actually read the OP before you bother posting.

I think in terms of the Earth there is an end however as for the universe I have no idea. The universe is so huge and massive I can't begin to fathom it's ending, but I'm no God or astronaut either.

It's only huge and massive according to our perspective. Maybe we're just super tiny and it is normally sized?

I think the universe does have a "boundary" as in there is a point at which it ceases to be, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't travel beyond it. The big bang theory is centered around a rapid expansion of matter, so that would mean the universe has been growing and has a certain size.

I also believe in multi-verse theories in which our universe is simply floating next to many others.

They always say nothing last forever, but I really don't know. I get scared when I hear about the world ending. I hope it doesn't end too soon.

I am not saying like if the world will end but is there an edge to the universe or a wall or is the universe like an infinite loop that never ends? If any of you are astronomers I would really like to know what you think.

I believe that the universe was created by a creator. I believe this creator to be infinite. This creator leaves his signature in everything he creates. His signature is infinity. Size never ends.

It's like when a man steps into a puddle of mud, you can see the size of his shoe by the imprint in the mud. When the universe was created the creators imprint was infinite as is the size of the universe.

Does the universe have an end, as in an edge? As in, is there a spot where the universe is not?

Well, yeah. We've known this for a while. The universe is still in the process of expanding. How do we know this? Well, when we watch a galaxy for a while, we can see that it's in the process of moving away from us. Since it's expanding, it's safe the say there is an edge of the universe.

The Universe has no edge. It's too vast and it keep son going forever.

Planet Earth has an end and all other planets have an end, but the UNIVERSE has no end.

I'm not saying we can ever find the end, or ever get to the end. But it's pretty widely accepted that it has one.

Okay fine, say it has an end, but what's on the other side? What goes past the end of it? Say we have a piece of paper, the paper obviously has an end, but we can see what's past it.

What if the universe is one big unending piece of space and it's only the matter that's expanding?

Okay fine, say it has an end, but what's on the other side? What goes past the end of it? Say we have a piece of paper, the paper obviously has an end, but we can see what's past it.

We have no idea. That's the point, that's the mystery.

It can't be the matter that's expanding, matter just doesn't grow without any reason.

I personally have no clue. But I once heard an interesting theory, stating that the universe expands and contracts almost exactly as the brain does. Which means that it's highly possibly that each universe is really just the inside of someone or something else's brain. But then that leads to the question, if we live in something's brain, where does that something live? In another something's brain. All these theories just seem to be Catch 22s of some sort.

Back