Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Kakashi2020

Legacy Member
Doing a drama or play whether it's modern Romeo and Juliet or any Modern English drama or musical play is an effective way of teaching the English Grammar to intermediate students. It would help students practice and understand the right pronunciation, delivery and emotions. And it's fun too.

I guess I am already expert on classroom plays and drama, kidding aside. But since I started a school I experience playing inside the classroom every grade that I step in, and It now become a part of my school memories. And as of now I am already in college and most of the subjects still give us a task where we need to play or do a drama inside the classroom in exchange for our grades.

Linguistic teachers have been using dramas or/and plays to make their students truly feel the usage and importance of grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Not only is it effective, but also fun and engaging!;) Students get to bond as they prepare their scripts and objects. They get to learn while also taking a break from their every day text-book learning. However, I must say that dramas and plays aren't effective on actually making students learn grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Text-book learning is definitely more effective to learn those linguistic basics. Dramas and plays can then be used as a method to somewhat apply that certain language.:joyful:

It is not really fun if your are having stage fright; you can even speak a blunder despite the fact that you're otherwise fluent.

I remember the first time I had to do a drama rehearsal(just the rehearsal and not even the real play) and how my entire body —and throat— felt numb and immovable.

In such a time, fun in acting doesn't exist and you definitely not learn to speak better.

It is not really fun if your are having stage fright; you can even speak a blunder despite the fact that you're otherwise fluent.

I remember the first time I had to do a drama rehearsal(just the rehearsal and not even the real play) and how my entire body —and throat— felt numb and immovable.

In such a time, fun in acting doesn't exist and you definitely not learn to speak better.
Stage fright is a flaw and it is true that a lot of people have this flaw regarding this method. However, it adds more reason to use this method. As a teacher, of course it's our job to make sure our students learn, improve, and grow in every way possible. By doing dramas and plays often, not only the students can get all those benefits that have been mentioned before, but they can also grow their confidence and even find themselves. Dramas and plays aren't simply used to learn languages and their applications and are definitely not used to torture students who have stage fright.:joyful: This method is necessary, especially to early learners, to explore various skills and personalities at once while also learning languages. From writing the script and preparing the objects to actually be confident and perform, students can discover their strength and weaknesses, their talent and flaws which is important in forming one's identity. It is the students' choice to try to get rid of their flaws and grow, but it is our responsibility to push them and give them the opportunity to.;)

Stage fright is a flaw and it is true that a lot of people have this flaw regarding this method. However, it adds more reason to use this method. As a teacher, of course it's our job to make sure our students learn, improve, and grow in every way possible. By doing dramas and plays often, not only the students can get all those benefits that have been mentioned before, but they can also grow their confidence and even find themselves. Dramas and plays aren't simply used to learn languages and their applications and are definitely not used to torture students who have stage fright.:joyful: This method is necessary, especially to early learners, to explore various skills and personalities at once while also learning languages. From writing the script and preparing the objects to actually be confident and perform, students can discover their strength and weaknesses, their talent and flaws which is important in forming one's identity. It is the students' choice to try to get rid of their flaws and grow, but it is our responsibility to push them and give them the opportunity to.;)

Okay, so we agree that stage fright possess a problem, a problem that can take the fun off the whole class drama thing.

I totally agree with you that kids needs to be given the opportunity for a holistic development of different t areas of their lives. We shouldn't take this for granted.

Yoi will notice that if we should focus on the fun of drama, a teacher may pay little or no attention to the kid whose stage fright is the only thing hindering him/her from learning in this fun way.

It is possible. So a teacher, I must say, should know that the priority isn't about the drama, but ultimately about the kids actually getting to learn

Back